Saturday, April 27, 2013

Meet my mistress

Good morning fellow readers and builders!  I am pleased to be writing this morning about the house that inspired me to begin this adventure with Ryan Homes.  The story is kind of odd back in November of 2012 my wife and I were looking to make a minor upgrade to our modest bi-level home.  One day, after many disappointing home views and fruitless searches I thought "damn my wife's bum knee" I am going to check the "2 story" box in out local multiple listing search engine.

The house that forever changed my view on what a 2 story house was supposed to be was on the screen in front of me.  The house had been in foreclosure for over 6 months and we decided to pay a visit.  Unfortunately it unbeknownst to us had no power and the sun was setting around 5:30 pm in those days.  We got there at about 5:15 pm.  It was to dark to see anything inside but the mls images inspired and haunted me.  The next day the bank accepted an offer from someone else and my "dream" was dashed.

Today that house is back on the market for $20k less.  It is a 4 year old Ryan Homes Dunkirk.  It is the 4 bedroom model.  So let me tell you something sports fans; you better keep your marriage intact because if you don't you and the house may suffer the fate of "Ally" my first true housing love.  They paid $226k for this bad boy back in the day and now they are begging to get $175k.  The power as I said has been off for months and the house is deteriorating everyday.  I am not sure what the winter did to it but I heard it has many problems now.

Meanwhile my wife's knee was surgically repaired and she climbs stairs for kicks now. As part of the healing process from the rejection I felt by not being allowed to make the purchase I thought I would compare the inspiration to the work of art* (*in our price range and subjective levels of taste and quality) my wife and I created.



OURS (Still without the door pained or door frame)
ALLY











OURS

ALLY



OURS without the ceiling fan and finished fireplace
ALLY


OURS
ALLY

May give a small edge to Ally here in the windows area.

OURS

ALLY
OURS

ALLY
OURS
ALLY
OURS


ALLY

OURS

ALLY
We spent a lot more money and got what we wanted/could afford.  While their $175 k price is low at best they have to fix mold, busted pipes, and who know what kind of other damage at this point.  I never did like the ALLY location in the intersection.  Every time somebody came to the stop sign their lights would be shining into the dining room.  Additionally, we discovered that rear tract of land behind the home was destined to be filled with lower priced homes.  So the beautiful farm view their will be replaced with a sea of housing someday.  With all this said, I feel I can close the book on ALLY and the days of second guessing whether or not I should have gone for the bargain or made my own.

Our house will have a walkout, an additional bath, 900+ more square feet, a better shower, kitchen, 2 story great room, granite, superior appliances, better building materials, interior electric receptacles, cable ports, data ports, and other future proofing were done to my exacting standards, a rear view that will not be subject to change, the lot allows for a patio and deck, better house placement related to traffic, better neighborhood amenities; pool and 11 acre park, and better location to activities and interests.  All in all I definitely feel we made the right decision.   

2 comments:

  1. you got a much better deal. We too have houses that we loved but were not meant to become our homes.. we spent a lot more money but it is worth it. or at least I tell myself that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that an awesome story! Although Ally hurt you in the beginning, she led you to where you and your wife were destined to be in the end! Confirmation of what is meant to be will be. Your home is beautiful and wonderfully made for your family!

    ReplyDelete